As I mentioned in the below post, it has been a frustrating week. For most of the week, I was mad/angry/pissed off and all the other adjectives that fit into that category. I turned inward to make myself happy again. Happy Volunteer = Successful Volunteer. So here is a list of what has made me happy this week:
- A playlist full of newly-acquired music. Stevie Wonder, Amos Lee, and Ben Harper make beautiful music.
- Discovering NBC Nightly News and Meet The Press (in their entirety) and the Today show (first hour only) via podcast. This marked the first time I seen a clip of President Bush speaking. It was like I had forgotten how [insert own adjective here] he can sound. On Al Jazeera International, CNN International, and the local Moroccan channel, they just talk over his voice.
- Watching the Daily Show. I really think this made my week. Doing some errands around town yesterday, I ran into my host brother who told me to come to the house later. I did but Naima was just leaving for the hammam. She told me stay anyway, watch TV, and just close the door when I left. And as I started to flip channels, I hear "Welcome to the Daily Show with Jon Stewart." It was amazing. Beyond amazing. The only funny news commentary I get is from other volunteers.
- Running, crutches, and yoga stretches
- Finding a great reading/studying place in Timahdite. The auberge where Mom and Dad stayed is run by two of the friendliest men here. I went last week and asked if I could just sit here and read for a few hours. They said I was welcome anytime. I went again yesterday. Upon walking in, the guy told me that he knew I had a not-good week and just to sit, relax, and read. And I did just that.
No comments:
Post a Comment