Sunday, August 17, 2008

Dawn to Dusk

Living here—in a culture so different yet so similar from my Southern culture—the metaphors are abundant.

One morning while drinking Starbucks coffee in a UA alumni mug, I inadvertently started staring at my sunset collage. My thoughts drifted to why I am not happy and a little miserable. Looking at picture-perfect sunset over beautiful St. Andrew Bay, it hit me.

It's because for the first nine months, I was operating in dawn mode. From September to January, I was seeing everything in first light. Embracing the new chapter in my life, soaking it all in. By February, it was time to start preparing for the future, making plans, and such. May was my morning rush hour, in a hurry to tackle what lies ahead.

Now—the sun is at high noon. Times are tough and in this heat, I am struggling. 100 degree days may not be exact but they feel that way to me, thanks to sleazy men, no work, and my current love/hate relationship with certain cultural norms. The sun bears down on me and I do what must be done, submit.

A siesta, literally and figuratively, is in my future.

I look forward to evening and the sunset.

No comments: