Sunday, November 16, 2008

Still Living That Election High

Oh so much as happened since my last post…

First and foremost was the election. This post is not political but I want to say that I have been holding my head just a little higher. Moroccans come up to me and offer congratulations. They say it with this bewilderment; like they are still processing everything Americans were able to do with a simple checkmark on a flimsy piece of paper.

Right after all this glory, Ellen came to visit! We spent most of our time in Essaouira because we both needed a beach fix. Essaouira is this really chill beach town that made us feel a little bit at home. After relaxing there for a couple of days, we were a little overwhelmed with the hustle and bustle of Marrakech. Soon thereafter, we parted ways. Ellen went to the Casa airport to fly back to London and her city environment; I headed back to the mountains and the simplicity of village life.

I didn't get to stay in the village long. My annual physical was in Rabat so I packed my bags once again and hit the road. The rest of the SBD volunteers I arrived with were all in Rabat; it was great to see everyone and enjoy Rabat.

Some more good news: Work opportunities have increased exponentially! I am now involved in a women's computer literacy class. This opportunity is huge and has the potential to keep me busy until the end of my service, lhamdullah.

Time seems to be flying. In September, I posted that it felt like I had been in Morocco a year. Now, 2 months later, I can't believe that November is half-over. I am now considered a second-year volunteer (prestige comes with the title); I am in a little bit of disbelief. Thanksgiving is right around the corner, Leid Kbir is 3 weeks away, and my arrival in Panama City is 5 weeks away. I feel like I am going to wake up in January and ask myself 'where did the time go?'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.