Saturday, January 31, 2009

Another Month In the Books

January started with me celebrating—or more accurately, mourning—aging another year in warm, sunny Panama City. The month ends with me sitting at my kitchen table watching snow fall. In previous posts, I have complained about the snow and the brutally cold weather but honestly, at this moment, I feel good. My mental state is the best it's been since the election.

A volunteer in Midelt, a city about 2 hours away, hosted a day camp at her dar chebab this week. I spent Tuesday through Thursday helping out. In addition leading a successful session on resume writing and interviewing skills, I introduced the some Moroccan children to the crab crawl and bear walk relay races. The kids had a great time—big kudos to Linley. This week, I felt like I was doing actual productive work. It was a good feeling.

Because Midelt is much bigger town than mine, I packed my running shoes and made a commitment to myself to get in at least one morning run. And I did! In fact, I ran TWICE. Those exercise endorphins put a little bounce in my step. It's been missing as of late.

Thanks to the miracle of some kick-ass boots (read this article about their awesomeness http://outside.away.com/outside/magazine/1295/12f_gari) I have escaped the confines of my house and headed out into the woods. The peace of the trees, the crunch of the dirt and snow, and the scenery has been wonderful. While this place is not without its issues, the surrounding landscape is beautiful. I'm lucky to live here.

Pictures for you to enjoy!




2 comments:

Zubida Ghizlan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Briana said...

lovely post and pictures. i hope you still have a spring in your step, though now we can't tell since you're knee deep in snow! we were not made for winter, but we will survive it!