Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Update

Since I last posted, I have found out my final site, spent a week visiting it, and am now back in Ouarzazate preparing to complete training.

The place that I will be calling home for the next 2 years is in the northern part of the country near Fez and Azrou. It is absolutely beautiful and most important, it is green. Green is rare in Morocco and I have it, yay! The scenery is very different from Ouarzazate and my CBT village. In the southern part of Morocco, everything is brown right down to the mud huts. When I stepped off the bus, I felt like I was in a whole other universe.

I am replacing a current volunteer which I didn’t expect to be doing so I wasn’t really sure what to expect when I went to visit. Well, what I found were 10 incredibly motivated women weavers who belong to a newly established cooperative. The starting of the cooperative was facilitated by Katie, the PCV I am replacing. This was just one of the things she did in her 2 years in Morocco. I am definitely a little intimated to be following in her footsteps but am really excited about the challenge. There are lots of potential work projects I could be doing like helping the women find a permanent building, an accounting/financial system, a sustainable market for their products, and various business training workshops! It is all very exciting and I can’t wait to start working.

Tomorrow, I will return to my CBT village to complete my training project. I am eager to finish training. It will be a little sad to be leaving my CBT host family but glad to be moving on to my final site.

Pictures for your viewing pleasure:


A bird’s view of my little town


We have trees with changing leaves!!!


A view of the countryside outside my house


Little Ali, the 3 month old baby that is part of my host family

No comments: