During pre-service training, the medical staff at Peace Corps repeatedly stressed that it was important that we take care of ourselves. If one wanted to stay healthy and be a successful volunteer, practicing personal hygiene and keeping a good mental health was crucial.
Well, I have been an official volunteer for almost 6 months now. I feel I can safely say that mental health is way more important than personal hygiene. Having a good mental health makes you leave your house; keeps you happy; and helps you to integrate.
All volunteers find some way to keep a good mental health. For some, it is having internet in their homes. Others less picky prefer something has simple as running water. For me, it is quality coffee of the Starbucks and/or organic variety. I bought a drip coffeemaker. None of the instant stuff Moroccans seem to prefer. My mornings start with good ole cup of joe (okay, maybe 2 or 3).
In the States, it is easy to get your nails done and your hair cut for a good pick-me-up. Besides the coffee everyday, I will occasionally splurge on a hotel bathtub while traveling or a bottle of non-Moroccan wine or as I have done twice this last month, split an entire chocolate cake with 2 other people.
Personal hygiene, on the other hand, is a whole other story. It is rare that I change my clothes more than once a week. My hands look like they belong to an 80-year old; my skin looks diseased; a bird craps on my head and it take me 3 days to wash my hair. If I really want to dream big, I face my face twice a day. The medical staff was right; personal hygiene is important to staying healthy, something I haven’t really been since I arrived. I don’t think this is keeping me from doing my job and being a successful volunteer, though. I will say that this week, my personal hygiene has been pretty good. I showered this week, as opposed to last week, when I, uh, didn’t.
2 comments:
Hi Elizabeth! We had our family reunion yesterday and you were a main topic of conversation. I think it is incredible that you are volunteering in the Peace Corps. I have read your past few posts and it sounds like you are having a most excellent adventure. I hope everything continues to go well for you. Love, Bill and Selina Waller
Post a Comment