Well, I am officially a Peace Corps Volunteer. My group of 67 swore-in on Monday in a very nice ceremony in Fez. The Ambassador and his wife attended and again I was impressed. Fez is an incredible city. I would walk down the streets and feel like I was in Europe; it even has American things like a Wal-mart type store called Marjane and McDonalds (hey hey hey). On the other hand, you walk through the medina and you feel like you have been transported back to the middle ages. I didn't get much time to explore but later, inshallah.
I have now been in my site for 3 days and amazingly enough, have been busy. Not American busy but Moroccan busy. I have finally got my carte de sejour (card saying I am a resident of my town) figured out and have seen most of my artisans. Also, my amazing sitemate (the other volunteer that lives in my town) took me on a mini hike to one of the hills surrounding my town. The scenery is so beautiful. Unfornately, I forgot to take my camera. Still kicking myself on that one but I will have lots more time to make up for it.
In Florida, there is a saying that you know it is cold outside if you can see your breath. Well, here at 1800m above sea level I see my breath almost every time I breathe. Let's just say I am cold. My body will adjust soon, inshallah. And it has already snowed in the mountains surrounding my town. Pictures will be forthcoming.
December 1st is tomorrow and it is crazy to think about where I am now and where I was a year ago.
Until later...
1 comment:
Post a Comment