A few weeks ago while in Rabat, I spoke to a group of American study abroad students. One of the questions they asked was “what has been the most enriching experience I have had in Morocco.” I answered what I think is the typical volunteer response…when I walk around town and people call my name; when children come running to give me hugs; and when children talk to me about the newest thing they learned especially the newest English word.
Yesterday, the sun shined brightly and the wind was just a light breeze. Taking advantage of this, I took my chair outside and under the sun’s rays, I read The Audacity of Hope. One of the teenage girls who lives across the street came up to me to see what I was reading. She read the cover and proclaimed “Oh, he is the guy we like for president!” After laughing a little, I returned to the page I was reading while she started to read over my shoulder. She read an entire page with very good pronunciation and by the time she was done, I was smiling from ear to ear. This is what enriches me.
No comments:
Post a Comment