Wednesday, March 19, 2008

In The Name Of Jesus Christ, Take Me To Paradise

For the last few days, I have been in Rabat, the capital of Morocco. While I love my town, I needed to get away for a little bit. The cold winter air was starting to affect my mental health. Rabat is located on the Atlantic Ocean and has a warm, beachy climate. And I needed warmth and especially water. I went 6 months without seeing ocean, by far the longest time in my life, which is just too long. Never again.

Some highlights:
--Smelling the salt air. Oh me, oh my. One of the best smells in the world.
--Visiting the Peace Corps office and picking up more books from the library
--Talking with some American college students studying abroad in Spain.
--Going to a bar and drinking draft beer. It was amazing! When the waiter found out I spoke Tamazight, he got really excited. From then on, I was in charge of my group’s communication. Good thing too because when we got the bill, it had the largest discount I have ever gotten at a bar and all because I speak this wonderful oral language that many Moroccans do not speak. I love this country…
--Drinking Guinness at the American club. It was St. Patrick’s Day weekend so it was really nice to drink an Irish beer.
--not a highlight but an explanation. For the name of this blog post…While walking down the street some guy stopped his car, stuck his head out the window, and shouted, “In the name of Jesus Christ, take me to paradise.” I have gotten used to the heckling; the stopping of the cars and the touching bothers me a little but not too much. In fact, after receiving this “compliment” I couldn’t help but laugh. This is by far the most original thing that has been said to me.

Changing subjects, tomorrow is a big holiday. It is Aid Mouloud which literally stands for birthday. Tomorrow is the Prophet Mohammed’s birthday. I’ll see what kind of celebrations we have for this one…

No comments: