Wednesday, May 20, 2009

On Graduation

Before I delve into my thoughts about life and current events, let me first say congratulations to Katherine. My little sister graduates from high school today—congratulations! Last year, she came to Morocco and spent a month with me. Not many 17 year olds would have done that. She adjusted to the turk, lack of reliable running water, and the harassment remarkably well. Not afraid to reach outside the box, she handled Morocco’s ups and downs with grace. Now, she heads off to college for more adventures, more ups and downs, and more exploring.

Since it is graduation season, there is so much talk about public service whether it is from congressmen, celebrities, or our President himself. The writer Paul Theroux recently wrote an article about how his Peace Corps experience has affected the rest of his life. Not too long ago, I read Dark Star Safari, a great travel writing memoir about Theroux’s adventures traveling from Cairo to Cape Town. This was his first return to Africa in more than 30 years and throughout the book, he reminiscences and reflects on Africa, Peace Corps, and development in general. Several of the points he made struck home with me and this article hits even closer: http://www.concierge.com/cntraveler/articles/500616 I do take issue with one point though. Today’s PCVs cannot call home whenever they want. It still does not work like that. And for what it is worth, I have met several returned PCVs who say it is harder to be a PCV now because we grew up in a world of increased communication and to suddenly be away from that is more of a challenge than disappearing for 2 years like back in the 60s.

And, finally, today starts the 6-month countdown. In 6 months, I bid Morocco goodbye. I have come so far and yet not far enough. Just in the last couple of weeks did I get the courage to attempt running in broad daylight in my conservative Berber village. With the local government’s permission, I have begun to conquer the trails behind my house. And it feels so good. With 6 months to go, the work projects are winding down and the travel is about to start up again. I am feeling increasing pressure to cross items off my “Morocco To Do” list. I have done a lot but there is still more to do.

No comments: