Thursday, September 20, 2007

Books

One of the most interesting conversations among us volunteers is about the massively overstuffed bags we packed. It seems like the most agonizing decision we faced was what books to bring. I brought only ¼ of the books I wanted. This was the problem for many people; it has become almost comical when someone starts reading a non-Peace Corps book. The typical conversation:
“Oh, I have been wanting to read that!”
“It is so good. You can read it after me” or
“That is a great book.”
“I am enjoying it”
and then a discussion on the book ensues.

Books include:
Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali (excellent book)
The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan (one of my roommates is reading this and likes to read disgusting excerpts from it)
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
Culture Shock! Morocco (good if you are going to live in Morocco like we are)
Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond (the book I am currently reading but at the current rate, it may not be finished until I move to my site)
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khalid Hosseini

On another note, Community-Based Training starts on Saturday. This will be the first big test for me in Morocco. From September 22nd until October 1st, I will be living with a host family in a village outside Ouarzazate. During the day I will be at my LCF’s house (Language and Culture Facilitator) where I will continue my intensive language training and, inshallah, more cross-cultural sessions. Peace Corps has kept us in a mini-sheltered state these 2 weeks so I am looking forward to getting the chance to get out of the hotel and live in a family. My Darija should improve tremendously in the next 10 days and inshallah, I will get to eat some good tajines and cous cous! Hopefully there will be a cyber I can go to but until then...

No comments: