Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Portrait of CBT Phase 1

CBT is going so well! I have only been here 5 days but feel as if I have grown miles. The little town I am in is so beautiful...very picturesque! Each day is challenging but incredibly rewarding. I feel so blessed to be here and wanted to share a little snapshot of one of my experiences.

My host family is so good to me that I feel bad about how well I have been taken in. Their patience and nice behavior is somthing to be desired. Yet still when I talk about them with my CBT group, I detect a pang of sympathy for them and I hate it. I think "what would I be like if I was born here" and vice versa. I hate that life is like this (I guess that is one of the reasons I am in the Peace Corps). My host sisters are so smart yet relatively illterate. I am no different from them but our lives are following opposite paths and just happen to collide on the base of the High Atlas Mountains and the Sahara. One of host sisters had trouble reading the word "bab" in Arabic script. This is a very simple word and one of the first ones I learned here. When I saw this, it was very hard not to cry. She is my age and cannot read. I grew up in a completely different environment and I am reading Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies. To me, this is one of life,s great inequalities.

I have lots more to say about CBT but but will not be able to update again until I am back in Ouarzazate on Monday, inshallah!

No comments: