Tomorrow we are off to Morocco! Staging went well. The group of 67 is incredibly diverse. I still haven’t met everyone but so far, I think I am the only person from the Deep South. A couple of people are from North Carolina, and South Florida but none from the Panhandle, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, and Mississippi.
We are spending a few days in Rabat but won’t actually be allowed out of our hotel until Day 3. We haven’t been told why; we haven’t been told much of anything. We were finally given our training city—Ouarzazate (pronounced where is at very fast). It is located in the mountains of southern Morocco about 8 hours from Rabat and a couple of hours from Marrakech. Nicknamed “Oz,” it is the Hollywood of Africa. Lawrence of Arabia, Babel, and the new movie Rendition were all filmed there.
In Oz, I will be living with a host family, learning with my community-based training (CBT) group of 5-6 people, and see as much of Oz as possible. Hopefully upon arrival in Rabat, I will learn more about training and the exact work I will be doing for the next 2 years.
Looking forward to being in-country!
No comments:
Post a Comment